Courtesy: High Performance MySQL, 2nd Edition
Backups come first. Backups are routine. Backups are easy but when disaster strikes, you need a great recovery system. Backups are nothing if a restore takes longer than you can afford.
- Replication is not a backup. Neither is RAID. Not only are they not backups, they are not substitute for backups.
- Security vs time-to-recover
- Off-site or on-site
- Raw backups vs logical backups
- Backup your binary logs for point-in-time recovery
- Keep several backup generations
- Test your backup and recovery process
- Create logical backups periodically. Make sure you keep enough binary logs to recover from your last logical backup
- Test your raw backups
- Monitor your backups and backup process
- Think hard about security
- There are more efficient ways to copy files other than scp or rsync